Varutharacha Nadan Tharavu Curry
- Duck,cut into medium size pieces – 1 kg
- Coconut slices – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion,sliced – 4 large
- Green chilies,cut vertically- 3 to 4 ( according to taste)
- Water – as required
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5 sprigs
- Black pepper powder,freshly ground – 1/4 tsp( or to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – as required
- Salt – to taste
For coconut masala paste:
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Cardamom pods – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1″ piece
- Cloves – 3
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tbsp( see notes)
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan add coconut slices and 1 pinch turmeric powder. Fry until it turns golden. Drain and keep aside.
- To prepare coconut masala paste, dry roast grated coconut, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon and cloves until it turns dark brown, stirring continuously over medium low flame. Reduce the flame to low and add kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for about a minute, stirring continuously.
- Transfer this to a plate and allow it to cool completely. Place this coconut mixture in the bowl of a food processor /mixie( do not add water) and process for 1 minute then scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Process another 1 or 2 minutes or until it forms a fine paste .( If you are finding it difficult to grind it to a smooth paste, just powder it as fine as possible.).Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/ pressure cooker .Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add onion and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes or until raw smell leaves.
- Now add green chilies ,curry leaves and duck ,cook for about 5 minutes, stirring well in between. Next add the prepared coconut masala paste and mix well.
- Add water ( about 1.5 cups or as required),vinegar and salt to taste. Cover and cook until duck turns soft and is done.
- Add fried coconut slices, black pepper powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and switch off the stove. Serve with rice /appam / chapathi.